[OM] A trying test: One failure One passed

Subject: [OM] A trying test: One failure One passed
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 23:16:18 -0800 (PST)
Well I put my two newest lenses thorough their paces
today. A 90mm Zuiko macro and a 50/1.4 sn <1,000,000.
I went to a school function in a brightly lit (with
flouresent lighting) room and took three rolls of film
without flash since I couldn't get away with it. I had
Portra 160NC loadedand the camera was in auto the
entire time. Shots were mainly at 1/30 to 1/60 sec
with the faster 50mm getting up to 1/125 wide open.

I shot both lenses wide open or the 50mm stopped to 2.
The shoot had its fair share of duds, bliked eyes,
blurred shots, some out of focus etc, but mainly I got
a ton of keepers. After the first few shots people
stopped noticing the shutter click and relaxed so i
got lots of nice candid shots. The 90mm lens passed
with flying colors. The shot was easy to focus and the
pics afterwards were nice and warm, very much in tone
with real skin tones and full of detail. This lens is
a wonderful lens and is definitely a keeper.

I can also certainly tell the difference betweeen the
pics from it and the 50/2 macro. The 50/2 is a much
harsher lens, quite unforgiving of skin flaws and much
more contrasty, making edges look razor sharp. Great
if you want every detail to stand out and be
delineated (bug, flower, and pics with lots of angles
and shadows look awesome with this lens, good for
taking pics of pieces of buildings and such) , but I
don't think I'll be using it for portraits anytime
soon. The 90mm is a much softer lens, not soft in that
it lacks resolution, but soft in that colors seem to
blend much better in focus and bokeh is fabulous,
perhaps the best of any lens I own. So in summation
the 90mm is a very forgiving lens, with beautiful out
of focus highlights, nice warm images even without a
corrective filter to correct for the lighting (but
still retaining correct color even in different
lighting) and high resolution wide open.

The other lens I recently got, the 50/1.4, was a
dissappointment to me. The images were very noticealby
cooler and had a nasty greenish tint to them from the
flouresence. The rest of the color transmission seemed
somewhat off as well, colors seemed to clash with this
50, rather than blend like the 90 and delineate with
the 50/2. Resolution was better than my silvernose 50
wide open, but not by that much at all when I put two
focused wide open pictures of each lens side by
side.(the silvernose is soft, but pleasantly so, the
later lens is sharper, but unpleasntly so to my eyes)
And I really like the silvernose's colors overall
'feel' better. The 50/1.4 late isn't a dog lens at
all, but its MC really lowers the tempurature and its
colors just don't seem as nice. I might be selling it
soon at the price I got it at... $55 shipping included

Mark Lloyd