Re: [OM] notice

Subject: Re: [OM] notice
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:05:50 -0800 (PST)
Basically its an idiotic security measure which really
means that if someone wanted to swipe your card all
they had to do was look on the back of the card rather
than the front of the card. Both sides have all the
numbers, but the back has an extra three that
supposedly add the new security measure. Boy I feel a
lot safer. Its like adding an area code to a telephone
number and probably provides the credit card company
with marketing data or some other garbage. Are these
three extra numbers deleted when the card is verified?
Probably not. Then again with the experience I have
had with CC companies I don't view any of them very
favorably. The best defense against CC fraud is
vigilance, keep every receipt and challenge any
suspicious purchases. In the U.S one is only liable
for the first 50 dollars. My mom caught her card being
used fraudulantly when she saw extra 5.00 meal's being
charged at her fav restaurant. The guy was small time
but they caught him quickly and we didn't have to pay
a thing.

Mark Lloyd