RE: [OM] Gold 100? [OT Rant]

Subject: RE: [OM] Gold 100? [OT Rant]
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:28:40 -0800
At 12:40 PM 12/10/01 +0000, John L. wrote:
>Big Snip
>
>Will it have OM content?  Yes.
>The specific film speeds recommended for a P&S won't likely match that for
>an OM SLR system.  However, a closer look at what light conditions exist in
>certain classes of venues, and how to match film speeds with the bodies,
>lenses and flashes most likely to be used in those venues does.

John,

I think you missed the point. The "average joe" only wants one film and
wants it to cover ALL lighting conditions. And that comes from dealing with
these folks right at the film counter (our lab carries all the good stuff
too!) Just from my experience over the past couple of weeks at the lab the
VAST majority of bad shots are underexposure. In fact I think Kodak is
likely "light" in their estimate of a 25 0mprovement in shots that are at
least seeable. When we think of point and shoots we think of Oly Stylus
(2.8 lens) or others that "we" would buy -- and that's not what the
consumer is typically buying -- they're after those 35-200 zooms with a 4.8
- 10.6 lens - and guess what happens -- underexposure. In the lab it is far
easier to do deal with a couple stops overexposure than it is 2-3 stops
underexposure. Hence the "average joe" using the 400-800 films will get
more "seeable" prints (now that doesn't mean good - just recognizable) and
that makes them happy. Kodak like any supplier is simply responding to what
the consumer wants and are simply trying to create the scenario where more
images are at least printable.

Barry H