Re: [OM] Advising students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising students
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 22:17:03 -0800 (PST)
--- "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A pro friend of mine uses a battery of Pent*x K
> bodies (some of them
> battered too).  His wife uses an FE2 plus one other
> Nikon body.  There are
> plenty of pros still using manual focus bodies.  It
> depends on the type of
> pro work being done and desire/need for direct
> control.
>

> Now I'm ranting . . .
> I think I'll go burn a few more frames of Kodachrome
> or Tri-X in my Contax
> IIIa with its advanced neural network exposure
> program and USF
> focusing.  Obsoleted by the SLR prisms, lever wind,
> and coupled TTL
> metering, it still works as new after 50 years, and
> it doesn't care what
> operating system my computer has (or whether I even
> have one).
>
> -- John

 John your a genuine photographic curmudgeon! I love
it. The truth of your rant was evident by my past
weeks visit to my father in law on Hornby island, BC.
He recently purchased a Pentax ZX-7 to replace his
pooped out ME Super, and really wants to get a little
deeper into phototography. Good grief, the instruction
manual weights more than the camera! We were walking
Helliwell, a BC park with nice bluffs and a
spectacular cloud and sun sky and I hear him mumbling
"Whats wrong with this damm thing?" I say lemme see
and cripes!, all its got is buttons, levers, and a
function dial. I feel like saying "I can't operate
this, it ain't a proper camera" but I don't want to
appear a dummy so I see he has it set to M on the dial
and surimse thats for manual exp control. The lens
opening is at f22 and when I ask why he says "I always
set it at f22." Why? "Because I want lots of depth of
field." (My mind screaming, nooooooo) John,I say, you
got the zoom set to 28mm, the closest object in frame
is 20ft away, you can afford to open up a bit. You
see, the instruction book had said that if you want
the most foreground to background sharpness yse the
smallest lens opening and so he said "Thats for me"
without considering the downside. I promised him we'd
get back for a visit and some balanced instruction and
started to read his inst. book when we got back to the
house but was busy packing as you have to catch the
first ferry off the island to make connections to get
home. My wife is curled up with a cuppa and a book
when we get back and smiles sweetly "did you two get
any pictures?" says she, a few, I mutter, a few.
John Robison