Re: [OM] Advising students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising students
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 21:10:06 +0000
At 15:24 12/2/01, George S. wrote:

I took the original discussion of 'student' cameras to mean something other than to include $600 bodies. I thought we were talking more along the lines of a $100 K-1000 or $75 OM-10 for a beginner to learn the basics on. I'm taking the 'student' tag seriously- someone in say, a freshman High School photography class. I may be wrong, but I feel a 'student' doesn't have $600 to sink into just a body.

Yes, I wouldn't argue that . . . for most young H.S. students. It was a correction to the posting guessing the F3a doesn't have an AE mode (it does).

What would be suitable depends on seriousness and ability level; much like musical instruments. I was thinking about $100-$200 for a used body. A fully functional FE2 with "bargain" cosmetics could fall into this range with some knowledgeable searching (if the H.S. student can be convinced appearance isn't all-important). I wouldn't recommend an OM-10 for a student studying exposure. An OM-PC would be better, or an OM-1[n]/2[n]. They allow direct manual control. A 50/1.8 (MC) would work well as a first lens. Basic flash would be a Vivitar 283 or Sunpak 383; inexpensive used and while packing plenty of GN. Halfway through H.S. I bought a used a Yashica J-5 with 50/1.2 Yashinon, never-ready case and some equivalent of a Vivitar 283. Don't remember what it cost, but it couldn't have been much because I didn't have much (had to work for *all* of it at a real job outside the household; what a concept).

A pro friend of mine uses a battery of Pent*x K bodies (some of them battered too). His wife uses an FE2 plus one other Nikon body. There are plenty of pros still using manual focus bodies. It depends on the type of pro work being done and desire/need for direct control.

You and I may appreciate the FM3a (which I do), but the slow sales tells me the rest of the population doesn't share our love of manual focus cameras. This certainly doesn't bode well for our hopes of a new Olympus body, or re-tooling an old one, does it? The public is increasingly being shown 'the latest' AF SLRs, P&S, and digital bodies and being told 'this is what you need'. Nobody, Nikon included, is advertsiing a line of manual focus cameras. Sad situation, I agree.

FM2n sales supposedly aren't as slow; it's why the note I read about FM3a sales surprised me.

My cynical opinion:
The "this is what you need" strategy has been going on for decades, but it is taking a new direction. Camera makers have found the product life trajectories and business models for personal computers and their software. They don't want camera systems to be "durable goods." It won't be long before ads appear touting Wunderbrick 3.1, 7.0 and '02-SE. I'm surprised they haven't created flash programming capabilities for selling updated matrix focusing and metering firmware. [We didn't get it quite right to begin with; thanks for beta-testing it; please buy the version upgrade with all the irritating glitches fixed.] The goal is shortening time between generations (read: model lifespan). Development work is done on two or three product generations simultaneously. About 1/2 to 1/3 way through the product develeopment cycle creating the next generation, another team starts on the generation to follow that one.

A few early entrants into the digital race were thinking they could create image download system software drivers once. A number of consumer models designed under Win-95/98 were obsoleted by new operating systems incompatible with the original Win-95/98 drivers. The cameras still work but they're useless with PC's running current operating systems. The camera maker(s) will not support them with new drivers because the models are no longer in production! Buying a new computer can obsolete a perfectly good digital camera! Several hundred $$$ new, a few years later it suddenly has the same resale value as a 126 film camera. Yet one more issue to wrestle with when the itch for digital twitches (think about the entire system; not just the camera).

Now I'm ranting . . .
I think I'll go burn a few more frames of Kodachrome or Tri-X in my Contax IIIa with its advanced neural network exposure program and USF focusing. Obsoleted by the SLR prisms, lever wind, and coupled TTL metering, it still works as new after 50 years, and it doesn't care what operating system my computer has (or whether I even have one).

-- John