Re: [OM] Advising students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising students
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 19:31:39 +0000
At 06:17 12/3/01, John Robinson wrote:
 John your a genuine photographic curmudgeon!

I had an excellent role model:
My father used a highly advanced neural network exposure program with his Argus C-3 "brick" outdoors. He would look at the sky and the subject, then set the shutter speed and f-stop about a second later. I still peruse his archive of K-25 and K-64 spanning 30 years with utter amazement. His yield of perfect exposure with one of the most unforgiving films made was over 95%. Indoors, he used 25B flash bulbs and could work out lens aperture from the distance using their GN in a fraction of a second. He would focus through the RF, look at the top of the lens for the distance and immediately set the aperture. 25B's in a bowl reflector had a GN at least that of a Metz 60-series running at full output. Speed winding was done by holding the camera in one hand and the winder knob with the other. Two very quick twists of both wrists got to the next frame as fast as a single-stroke lever winder. All this is very nearly a "lost art" [sigh] and it's one of the reasons I bought the Contax IIIa. Some day, with enough practice, I'll eventually be as good at it as he was, and the "art" will live on a while longer.

When he finally bought a Can*n AE-1 during the early 1980's, he tested its TTL metering system thoroughly with two rolls of K-64 to ensure it was as accurate as he was. Those two rolls of slides are the only ones with notes on their mounts about f-stop and shutter speed. It took me a while to realize what he had done (and why). I figured it out when the date on the slide mounts finally connected with when he purchased the AE-1. Even then, I still don't think he completely trusted the AE-1 metering. Why did he use a lowly C-3 "Bakelite brick" for over 25 years? It did everything he needed a camera to do; he never felt constrained by it. My father was undecided about whether to replace it with an SLR for several years, and then spent months doing research before buying one. The question always boiled down to what he would be able to do with an SLR that he could not do with his C-3. The answer was always "nothing." The AE-1 purchase was an extravagant self-indulgence.

USF = Ultra-Silent Fingers
Even Can*n, with all their technological wizardry, hasn't come up with an AF drive that silent (assuming there's no grit in the lens helical from sandblasting it during cleaning).

-- John