Re: [OM] Advising Students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising Students
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 11:08:06 +1100
>And unlike the screw mount Leica lenses there has been no
>technological improvement like coating and multicoating that improves
>an image over what is given by an OM.  Almost all tech advances have
>been in things like autofocus, faster long lenses,  and stabilization
>systems.
>--
>Winsor Crosby

Not sure I agree - the wider availability of aspheric lenses at lower cost
for instance? But the point is well made - I'm frequently astonished by the
quality and sharpness of images made in the 19th century. Of course,
studio/large format, but the recent advances have been made in
'convenience' rather than quality and in the improvement of quality to go
with the convenience - as in sharper AF zooms, for instance. If you are
prepared to do the work, older gear is almost always just as good or
better. I think the improvement in film quality is much more significant.
And as to faster long lenses - have you seen that Zoomatar 180/1.3 on the
cameraquest site? That's 360/2.6 with the doubler! Of course, you need a
crane...
AndrewF