Re: [OM] Advising students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising students
From: "Alan" <atk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Nov 2001 15:53:41 -0000

If I were advising a student -- I would suggest a minolta X-700 or maybe
a Pentax K-1000 or later model.

I would avoid nikon (personal dislike), konica, and even om. I might
recommend a canon but I don't know anything about the bodies after the
AE (which I didn't like).

Look -- I own an om-1 and 2sp. I purchased them both new and so on. But
the system is over-priced today. It has problems (parts and such) and
olympus never extended many of the designs of their lenses like Canon or
Minolta and such.

The price performance just isn't there. If you have a special application
(such a macro) then yes it is probably the top system -- but this doesn't
apply to students. Students want something cheap with reasonable performance
-- that just doesn't fit olympus.

Worse -- many of the newer bodies (om-10, om-40, ...) series were quite shabby
making matters worse.

Sadly, I think some members of this list have help drive up the use prices
(hence hurting the price/performance ratio). Me -- I'll keep my om system
a bit longer but I already own it.

However, we are advising someone new with a low budget. Do you really thing
you are giving good advise when you suggest an Olympus om camera ?

Alan