Re: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?

Subject: Re: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:42:47 -0800

Could be that Olympus tested the technique before recommending it.

Could be. And it could just as well be that someone with no great knowledge of this stuff threw that in willy nilly because his wife suggested it at breakfast. Such things happen, especially at corporations where the left hand often loses track of its right counterpart.

There must be 100,00 how-to photography books out there, maybe ten times that, I don't know. I've been reading these things, off and on, since I was in high school, and more-or-less seriously since I got out of college--call it thirty years or more. Except for cases where the photographer knows the tripod is unsteady (bad footing, maybe, usually because of gusting wind) the same advice comes down to us time after time, loud and clear: use a cable release, and if you think it's called for hang some dead weight from the center column--that's why the hook is there.

Again: if you were to use your hands I'd strongly recommend you use those hands on the tripod legs and not the camera.

Re camera shake in general: in normal application no one's going to see the difference anyway. As far as I'm concerned this is just a classic example of "bustle," which Dr. Johnson defined as "getting on horseback in a ship." <g>

Tris