RE: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?

Subject: RE: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:06:27 -0700
> But
> to put your hands on a camera while it's on a tripod with the idea to
> dampen the mirror shock is entirely mistaken.

 I agree that this seems completely ridiculous, but I can see it making
sense in two situations (neither of which apply to me, mind you).

 1. The tripod is completely 100olid. 4x4 mahogany legs, 2" steel top,
etc. In this situation, just resting your hands on the camera won't affect
the position because the tripod's so solid, so camera shake that way won't
come into it -- but it will still act as a damper for tiny vibrations.

 2. Rattling tripod, user has lots of faith -- and user presses down on the
camera. This way you're exerting force on the camera, and it's a lot easier
to keep your hands steady under the load of leaning on something than it is
when they're supporting a load themselves. If you press right into the
center of resistance of the tripod, you should be able to keep the system
under pressure and (as long as you're right in the center) not move things
around. Same sort of idea as the loop-of-string-under-the-foot that someone
else posted, sort of.

 -- dan