Re: [OM] OM2? 2N? 2SP?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2? 2N? 2SP?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:49:19 -0800 (PST)
Bill Stanke wrote:
<snip>
Advantages of "S" over "2":

Permanent hot shoe (no extra $ for Shoe 4)
TTL connector built-in (No extra $ for TTL Autoconnector 4)
Sexiest shutter sound in OM-dom
Provision for optional handgrip
Motor drive/battery cover is still available
Spot meter
You don't pay extra for a black body
Program mode option
Self timer will pre-fire aperture

Advantage of "2" over "S":
2 is probably more repairable
Off switch really turns things off
You can leave shoe off if you don't care about flash
Faster framing rate with motor drive (5 fps vs 3.5 fps for S)
2S flash LED will suck camera batteries dry (unless converted to "red"
LED circuit)
2S has much rougher manual film advance (use a winder!)
Chrome body is N/A for a 2S
2 has better overall build quality

<snip>

A very thorough analysis by Bill!

I also have both 2n and 2S and would add one more observation. The
shutter speed dial on the 2S is thinner and less pleasant to operate
than on the 2n. In my case, the dial on the 2S is very stiff, whereas
the 2n dial is smooth. I think my 2S may be unusual in this regard,
however, because other 2S owners have said they have no such problem.
The reason it's a big deal for me is that I use manual/spot mode quite
a bit and that's when you need a nice smooth shutter speed dial.

Both cameras work well but, if I had to choose between them, I think
would rather keep the 2n. This is partly a personal feeling but it's
also due to the fact that it's difficult for me to get silver oxide
batteries and they seem to last forever in the 2n. I'm also aware that
the 2n would probably be easier to have repaired.

Regards,

=====
Ray