Re: [OM] Advising students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising students
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:58:49 -0800
Pentax K-1000 (or current equivelent) seems to be most often
recommended. Not sure I would hesitate recommending an old OM-1 though,
lenses, etc. seem plentiful enough.

A friend of my wife's is taking a photography course at UCSC (University
of California at Santa Cruz) and got a base model, manual
focus/exposure, Nikon. It wasn't a FM-10. It was, however, based on a
N-60 and was one cheap_*** feeling POS in my opinion. Didn't even feel
as solid as a Stylus Epic. (No, of course I didn't tell her
that...smile, nod, "nice camera, have fun!" was my response.)

My educational evolution went something like an Argus C3, to an Exacta
(or two...had to go through two to get one that worked if I recall), to
a Leica M2 (don't ask...I still kick myself for selling that off some 25
years ago or so), to an OM-1 back in the early 1970s that was the
beginning of this zuikoholic madness (that is now evolving into E-XX
madness, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion).

Key thing is to keep the AE and AF bells and whistles out of the
student's hands at first, and by doing so it means that whatever they
learn on will be "old school" and obsolete later on. But, if they learn
there they will have a better basis as to how to control a wunderbrick,
maybe.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com