Re: [OM] Advising students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising students
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:07:52 +1100

>Unfortunately, the K1000 has been discontinued, and I've had a tough
>time finding lenses and accessories for the local school's K-1000.
>Don't know much about later models - I thought Pentax bought into teh
>wonder brick mentality (built in flash, AF, etc).
>-
>B.B. Bean

The K1000 is still made by the Pearl River Corp. in Shanghai with names
like 'no-name' K1000 and Millenium 1000. The Chinese bought the tooling
from Pentax in the late nineties - after all, they'd been making them for
years anyway. We had a couple at school - free with a couple of thousand
bucks worth of consumeables. Very fragile and shoddy compared to the
original. The K1000 was consistently downgraded in quality from the late
eighties onwards. A 'made in japan' model is still best and easiest to
repair, even at 30 years old.
AndrewF