Re: [OM] PICS

Subject: Re: [OM] PICS
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 21:17:22 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Bryhn" <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>

> I'll leave out the COC debate as the *exact* numbers depends on the
picture
> you want on your wall (one format has to be cropped to fit in the other).

I don't understand why you need to crop before compare, if so, which to
crop? Crop the 4x5 to fit 2:3 or crop the 35mm to fit 4:5?

> But C.H.Ling wrote:
> >I'm sure you will get different out-focus effect even you stop down
> >the 150mm lens of 6x6 to get the same DOF value of 35mm. The 150mm
> >lens still get much softer look background.
>
> Actually, no. The key here is to look at the absolute lens opening, not
the
> f/ number. To look at the areas more out of focus, simply dial in larger
> values for COC, and keep the ratio between them constant. Large format
> lenses tends to have wonderful bokeh because of the gazillion aperture
> blades that can be fitted inside the lens, but that is another matter
> (although it still favours the larger format over any whimpy consumer
digital).

Can't catch what you mean, anyway a longer lens can give softer out-focus
effect. You don't need a medium or large format. In the 35mm system. The
longer lens has faster transition from sharp (in focus) to soft (out-focus).

C.H.Ling