Re: [OM] PICS

Subject: Re: [OM] PICS
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 11:25:03 +0100
I'll leave out the COC debate as the *exact* numbers depends on the picture you want on your wall (one format has to be cropped to fit in the other).

But C.H.Ling wrote:
I'm sure you will get different out-focus effect even you stop down
the 150mm lens of 6x6 to get the same DOF value of 35mm. The 150mm
lens still get much softer look background.

Actually, no. The key here is to look at the absolute lens opening, not the f/ number. To look at the areas more out of focus, simply dial in larger values for COC, and keep the ratio between them constant. Large format lenses tends to have wonderful bokeh because of the gazillion aperture blades that can be fitted inside the lens, but that is another matter (although it still favours the larger format over any whimpy consumer digital).

It has to be said though, that if you use large format to get lareger images than available with 35mm the situation changes. Use the same COC (i.e. the same magnification from film to print) for both formats and the longer focal lenght for large format will need to be stopped down more, eventually meeting the diffraction limit. That's another discussion.

BTW, anyone have a cheap 4x5 Speed Graphic with a working shutter to part with? I need one for the next solar eclipse....

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn