RE: [OM] Beattie Out of Business?

Subject: RE: [OM] Beattie Out of Business?
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 00:26:30 -0500
Olaf wrote:
There were times when I was wondering what it was I was doing
wrong, that I never seem to be able to afford anything and that I always
seem to be running low on the cash-flow, and then it struck me: I'm probably
not doing anything wrong at all, but having to support a family of 3 (and a
dog :) ) from just one salary is not that easy at first. I'm still at the
beginning of my carreer, so it's good to see that the perspective (as
implicitely drawn by Tom) is good at least. For now, it's still hard work,
but after several years, I too hope to reap the benefits of it.

Been there, done that! I can tell you it is well worth the investment in the kids to have your wife stay home if possible. (or you stay home and let her go to work) I can tell the difference between my students who have someone at home to turn to and those who have two working parents. I can't compare both options in my own kids, but I am happy for the most part with how they are maturing into well adjusted happy adults. Their early years give that important foundation.

I really don't miss my second/third jobs even though the last one was at a golf course with full privileges for my family! Now I cherish the few remaining years with my last child at home full time more than I crave the money.

It's also important to be in an occupation where you feel you are doing an important work.

<snip>

Tom said it: we all make choices. Larry: make your's. It's still not too
late to learn about things such as webprogramming etc., then, after having
put in the obligatory amount of hours(days/weeks/months/years) of hard work,
you too can make good money.

Larry, I appreciate the part of your personality that looks for ways to save money. One of my greatest joys is discovering a cheaper way to accomplish the same thing I thought I would have to pay dearly for. Recently we contracted a company to set up our computers at school on a network. I worked with the two "Microsoft Certified" men for five hours at $150 an hour. When they left I had to correct a few mistakes they missed, and get a computer running they couldn't get online. Now I do all the network stuff myself, for free!

Gregg