RE: [OM] Angenieux

Subject: RE: [OM] Angenieux
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:28:25 +1100
>>  > Tom, (or anyone) this is a "things you always wanted to know about
>>>  photography, but were too embarassed to ask"-question: why the
>>>  tulip-shape hood? Is that a special zoom-gimmick, or why are not all
>>>  hoods like that? What good does it do?
>>
>>  Ooh, I know this one -- it's cut out where the corners of the frame would
>>be in the final image. That way it doesn't get darkened unfortunately there.
>>
>>  -- dan (I think..)
>

>Sounds plausible. But why then is not the WA-hoods, where it really
>matters shaped like that. I know my 24 mm would need some help with
>its corners sometimes ;-)
>
>Henrik Dahl

The best hood shape for a wide is rectangular - like the new one for my
Voigtlander 21mm (which I have not got yet) and the one for my Mamiya Press
50mm (which I can't find and so made one with a Tamron tulip but if you
ever see this bucket, buy it for me please please please). Problem is that
you have to get them precisely positioned.
Tulip hoods have been available for cheaper lenses for a long time - the
Sigma 'Perfect' hood I keep seeing in junk bins is one - allows more
shading without vignetting.
AndrewF