Re: [OM] Angenieux

Subject: Re: [OM] Angenieux
From: "mike m." <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 19:59:26 -0800

"M. Royer" wrote:

> I personally think the tulip shaped hood is a feature
> of 'very expensive' lenses in order to distinguish
> themselves from the packs of mundane peasant lenses.
> Just like the aluminum case and leather lens cap for
> the white Zuikos. Its all a trick of clever marketing.

I don't know about that. I've got a Tamron 17mm that uses a tulip shaped
hood. I wouldn't call it a "very expensive" lens. It uses a thumb screw
to lock it into place
and you have to check the corners through the viewfinder and make sure
it is in the right spot before tightening the screw down. As for the
aluminum case and leather lens cap for the white Zuikos, I think
protection of the equipment is the reason for that.
Why place a $5000 lens in a $10 canvas bag? Look at the case for a
Tamron long lens and you'll see what I mean. It's good protection from
dust and dirt and that's about it. Drop it and you have got problems.
Olympus came up with the proper case to prevent that.

later,
mike m.