RE: [OM] Film rewind lever rattles (since I fixed it, ahem)

Subject: RE: [OM] Film rewind lever rattles (since I fixed it, ahem)
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:53:49 -0600
> The pin (paper clip) should be straight, and stick out just
> 1-2mm or so on both sides of the rewind lever.

 All is now sorted out and nice and solid again -- the problem was actually
that the little circular springy bit of metal was too flat, so it wasn't
putting enough pressure on the tab that goes under the rewind handle.

 I finally thought clearly enough about which bits of metal were pressing on
what and when, and this was obviously the issue. This is, now that I think
back, the reason I started taking it apart originally -- the metal clip had
rotated in place because it wasn't under enough pressure, which meant that
the rewind handle wouldn't fold down properly because the appropriate gap in
the metal clip wasn't in the right place; so I poked around trying to twist
things back to position, and must have loosened the top at that point.

 (and I had a rather frightening experience when I realised that, somehow, I
had ended up with the back closed and the shaft fully inside the camera --
no way to reach it because the thread on the knob was too short, no way to
open the camera because I needed to pull up on the now-inaccessible shaft to
open it.. Fortunately, a bit of careful levering with a fork(!) and I
managed to get at the threading on the inside, and all was well -- but for a
second there I was a bit worried. (I suppose I could always have found a
suitably-threaded bolt and tried to thread that in if worst came to worst)

 Thanks for all the advice! (it's nice to know that I can fix at least
_some_ of the problems with my camera myself.  I'm still not sure how well
my two-cable-releases-into-one attempt is going to work; rather than buy a
double cable release for the bellows I got, I'm sure there has to be a
cheaper way to assemble it out of two normal ones -- heck, worth a try,
anyway).

 -- dan