[OM] Film rewind lever rattles (since I fixed it, ahem)

Subject: [OM] Film rewind lever rattles (since I fixed it, ahem)
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:33:59 -0600
[apologies if this shows up multiple times; I keep getting bounces]

 On the ride where the previous photos were taken, I had the rather
unfortunate experience of rewinding the film, and somehow ending up with the
top of the film rewind lever unscrewing and coming off. (possibly related to
the fact I'd messed with it the previous day when the folding part stopped
folding back into place properly).

 As I scrambled for tiny bits of camera on the lakeside path, I managed to
get everything I needed, I thought -- but when reassembling it I noticed
that I was missing the small pin that holds the folding lever in place.

 I still have the round metal bit that goes under the top section, I still
have the top section that screws on, and I still have the rewind lever -- I
replaced the pin that holds the lever in place with a cut-down bit of
paperclip, and it seems to work okay now.

 My question is: it doesn't half _rattle_ now. I'm sure it didn't do that
before; I get the impression that the paperclip is marginally thinner than
the pin it's replacing, or not bent in the same way, or shorter, or
something like that. Perhaps I need to bend the metal plate a little bit so
it'll spring up under the end of the rewind lever when the rewind lever's
folded away? Looking in the online OM-2 repair guide I have saved from some
site or another, it looks as if I have the right number of parts, at least,
but comparing the 'feel' of the lever to that on my old OM-10, it's a lot
less solid. (sadly, the OM-10 uses completely different parts, so I can't
just transplant them).

 This is far from a critical problem (and, heck, I'm pleased with myself for
fixing it this well), but does anyone (John H?) know what the best way to
finish this repair is? Should I just leave well alone and thank my lucky
stars that the only bit I lost was the bit that's easy to replace?

 thanks,

 -- dan