RE: [OM] Film rewind lever rattles (since I fixed it, ahem)

Subject: RE: [OM] Film rewind lever rattles (since I fixed it, ahem)
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:02:17 -0600
> The knobs of many of the OM's will unscrew when turned
> "backwards" -- always turn the knob _clockwise_.

 Yup, I worked that out -- I once got a rather chilly response when picking
a few films up where I'd somehow absent-mindedly rewound them _all_ the
wrong way and they'd had to unwind and rewind them by hand before putting
them into the machine. (that was on the OM-10, though, where this doesn't
unscrew quite like that).

> A medium paper clip cut to length is just the thing to replace the missing
pin
> -- we use them all the time, especially on the 4/2s's, where the factory
pin is
> too short.  The problem is likely that the plate/spring underneath is
upside
> down -- the "springy" part goes up, against the lever, the flat plate goes
down,
> against the shaft.

 I just checked, and things are all the right way up; it seems almost as if
the pin I'm using is somehow keeping the plate a tiny bit too far away from
the lever and the lever isn't quite being pushed up enough. I'll take it
apart and poke around some more -- now I know I'm on the right track it's
just a matter of fiddling until everything gets solid again..

 Many thanks for the info!

 -- dan