Re: [OM] Light Meter Recommendations?

Subject: Re: [OM] Light Meter Recommendations?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:42:06 +0000
At 00:00 8/17/01, you wrote:
Hello all...

I've finally figured that the last 2 things I need to buy in the near future
will be a better light meter and a much better tripod.  I think the light
meter will come first in line to be replaced.  Currently I'm using an old
Gossen Pilot.  It works well and is compact, but its performance in extreme
light conditions is something I'm unsure about.

I figure a budget of ~$200 will be what I'll have to work with.  Flash
metering would be nice, but not necessary.  I'm going to be doing mostly
incident and reflected measurements, spot metering is something I can't
convince myself I'll need (I have my OM-2s anyway).

I've looked at the offerings from Sekonic, Minolta, and Gossen on the B&H
site and can't really make out any advantage of one over another.

I am wary of the digitals with light domes and rotating heads and whatnot.
I grew up using my dad's Luna Pro and it was built like a tank!  Any
comments on the durability of these digital meters?

So any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
The Gossen Luna Pro SBC can be had used in excellent condition for about $150, probably less. It's well within your budget, and relatively prevalent on the used market. AFIK among hand held photographic light meters, it measures the lowest light levels and has one of the widest ranges. It was the standard in light meters for years. All the others you mentioned get good marks as well. I too am partial to meters with needles.

-- John