Re: [OM] new user

Subject: Re: [OM] new user
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:21:37 +0000
Cc: Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At 20:34 8/16/01, Wayne Culbertson wrote, in part:
Secondly, I am just a hobbiest and normally shoot only family pictures
and flowers (with 2x vivitar macro), scenery, etc. I got cornered into
doing a wedding this Saturday for a relative, and frankly, am a little
nervous. I shoot with an OM PC, and an OM 10, and have just average
lenses, a Zuiko 50/1.8 of course, a Vivitar 28/2, Vivitar 28-80 3.5-4.5,
and CPC 135/2.8, and vivitar 80-200 zoom. I use a t20 flash, and so am
not really equipped for vertical shots without terrible shadows. I have
bought several rolls of portra 400vc and 160nc. I also have an old
olympus RC which I plan to do some portra 400BW with, and an Olympus
Infinity Stylus Epic (with 2.8) that I paln to use if all else fails. I
know this is pretty vague, but any advice would be appreciated.

Wayne

Wayne,
Shave your head and run, run as fast as you can (charter a plane if necessary), to a Tibetan Monastary and hide among the monks until it's over!

If you don't heed that advice, then your biggest problem is flash power. The T-20 (GN 67) just doesn't have enough power. You need nothing less than the oomph of a T-32 (GN 109). Don't try to compensate for lack of flash power by opening the lens up to f/2.8 or f/4. Your depth of field with a 50mm or longer lens will be too shallow.

If you cannot find a T-32 (GN 109) in a hurry, then find a Vivitar 283, Vivitar 285 or Sunpak 383 (all GN 124) in a hurry and use it. Ensure you know how to work it thoroughly first. They have built-in sensors and calculator dial/panel so you can use them like the T-20 or T-32 in "normal auto" mode. Not advice I would normally give (new gear) but I know the T-20 just won't put out enough light. All three are workhorses, and the Vivitar's are heavily used as generic flash units by photojournalists (the Sunpak is lesser known but very similar). They only have a center contact to fire the flash, so they won't illuminate the flash ready in the viewfinder. They do have a flash ready lamp on the back that works just like the one on the T-20. You will also have to *manually* set the shutter speed to 1/60th X-sync with them. I would be tempted to set it at 1/30th to "drag the shutter" and pick up more ambient light. If you do this, it does risk some slight camera shake, so make sure you are steady.

Take oodles of spare AA's for the flash!!! Put new ones in to start and have three more sets of new ones to replace them with when the recharge time gets noticeably longer.

Suggest using the OM-PC as primary and the OM-10 as secondary/backup, especially if you locate a T-32. You ought to be able to do the whole show with just the standard 50/1.8 lens. It will give you a brighter viewfinder for focusing more accurately in lower light. Think KISS principle and don't try anything fancy you have not done before!! Keep it to basics. You'll avoid mistakes that way.

A tip for posing people: Borrow a wedding album or two and look at where heads, feet and hands are positioned in the formal shots you like. Position these three body parts and the rest of the body will follow.

This is what I can think of in hurry. See also my tutorial on doing weddings here:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/wedding/

You're in for a long day and you'll be tired afterward, even if everything goes right. Good Luck!!

-- John