Re: [OM] new user

Subject: Re: [OM] new user
From: Robinsnes@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:20:51 EDT
In a message dated 8/17/01 6:37:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Thanks again, this sounds like good advice. I've been wondering about
> shooting most everything horizontal, then cropping if they want a
> vertical enlarged, as they won't likely want more than 8x10 anyways.
> Sticking to the 50mm also sounds like good advice.

Thank you for your response. I know you have had a lot of advice...some good,
some of questionable value considering your lack of experience with weddings.
With all due respect to the bride and groom, if they want a vertical, it
isn't available. You have done enough! Just shooting a wedding is a huge and
responsible job. Just because you have a camera or two is no excuse to
request that you do this joy any more than you would ask a butcher to do
brain surgery because he owns a knife. Shooting a wedding is not a joke or an
easy job. Many pros dislike it because it requires many skills beyond
figuring out the f stop on their camera...i.e. posing people, arranging
groups, dealing with hysteria and confusion while they expect you to come
back with a perfect product. That is a daunting task.
       By the way, I have some 20x30 images from Portra 400 35mm film. If you
shoot the film at 250 or 320, you will have no problem with 16x20
enlargements as long as you do not crop too severely. Use my flash
recommendations and you will not have a problem with exposure. If you follow
the flash manufacturer's recommendations, you will have many thin and
underexposed negatives. Good luck and shoot only at the distances recommended
on my flash guide. In practical terms, that is 2 steps, 3 steps, 5 steps, and
8 steps. If you are a foot or two off, it will not make any difference. This
is the most important suggestion I have given you. Always shoot at consistent
distances and you will do fine. Post me later and let me know how it goes,
please.
Best wishes,
Roger (who does about 75 weddings a year)

Roger Skully
robinsnestphotography.com