Re: [OM] new user

Subject: Re: [OM] new user
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:46:05 -0700 (PDT)
> > Yikes! My advice would be to break your leg so you can get
> out of this
> > wedding shoot!

Can't say I disagree here.  #1 technical factor in wedding work
is proper flash equipment.  I wouldn't venture anywhere near a
wedding without a more powerful flash and a bracket of some type
(mine is machined out of a hunk of steel) to keep the flash
above the lens even for verticals.  For the formals, I'd even
suggest that a light stand with umbrella or softbox is almost
manditory.  I see a lot of wedding pros use two umbrellas (I did
when working for another company) which will provide a nice
solid, shadowless lighting, but with umbrellas you must get
enough height to keep the reflections out of glasses.

Other pros have an assistant holding a flash on a long pole
above the photographer while the photographer has a flash
directly mounted on a stroboframe.  This works pretty well too,
but the lighting will be a bit harsher.  If you go this route,
I'd suggest a mini-softbox of some form.  Even one six inches
across makes a big difference.  I have an old KMART flash with
bounce adapter (flat angled white board) that works great for
this.  Just stick a long pc cord on it or slave sensor.

I personally use a studio flash and umbrella on a l0' lightstand
right in the second aisle.  I have it attached to the camera
with a pc cord (quite long).  I also will use a flash on the
camera set to a lower level.  I use a flash meter and manual
settings.

For the wedding itself, I use the flash bracket (stroboframe
type of device) and put the camera in Auto.  Generally I use
Portra 400NC for the ceremony shots and Portra 160NC for the
formals.  ISO 400 will give you around 1/8 - 1/15 at F8 for the
average church.  I will typically shoot at F5.6 which forces the
ambient light level one or two stops lower than the flash which
makes it pleasing without getting "cave-dweller" shots.

Ken N.