Re: [OM] OM2000 in Retrospect vs. OM-2S, etc?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2000 in Retrospect vs. OM-2S, etc?
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 21:47:25 EDT
 > In the earlier
 > years of this list few people seemed to use the OM-2S/-P (and
 > even fewer seemed to love
 > it!).

<< Yes, I think I singlehandedly started the counter-attack. (don't
 mean to toot my own horn).  Over and over again, the OM-2S was
 trashed on this list. ...
 Yes, folks, I'll lead the charge again!  The OM-2S is the
 pinnicle of OM design! >>

I like my OM-2SP (British version or whatever). It really feels like a solid
camera, and has a determined look to it. It could certainly do some damage to
someone if they attacked you in the tough streets of our inner cities.

To me it always feels heavier than any of my other OMs as well. I like the
range of modes you have: Program is just so much the opposite of Spot-Metered
Manual isn't it? That's cool, with Aperure-Priority Auto inbetween. I like
the mental exercise of spot/manual best, no namby-pamby computed averages
like my OM-4Ti there!

I really did enjoy my first outings with the 2SP, and then ... well, nothing!
I put the next lot of AgO cells on my 'new' OM-2N to try it out and the 2SP
went in an old suitcase upstairs.

But I have just got it out again, and put my 1992 50/1.8 on it. Gorgeous - I
haven't used the 50/1.8 for 8 years. Silly really. It's still mint though -
even the filter on the front, which I just cleaned now! Look really good on
the 2S. I can feel another outing coming on. ...

But it was a bad oversight not to put an off-switch on ALL the 2nd generation
OMs in my opinion. And that green flash ready light! What was their
electronic engineer / designer on in the 80s? Maybe he had shares in the
battery comapanies or silver mines, and felt the need to do something after
the demise of the silver noses.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/