Re: [OM] Astrophotography

Subject: Re: [OM] Astrophotography
From: "Michael Virsinger" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 01:11:53 -0400
Chris,

I did not catch the original message, so I don't know what type of
astrophotography you are looking to do. For astrophotography, you want as
fine a grain as you can get, which means slower film.

In general, for astrophotography you don't want to shoot wide open otherwise
you will not have sharp stars at the edges of the field. You may want to
check out Michael Covington's book and website for some good information:
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com He also has an excellent free exposure
calculator that you can download for free. It also will help with
calculating the film's reciprocity failure which will be helpful for
determining the longest exposure's you can take for each type of film.

Another list member Matt BenDaniel did some tests to determine the best stop
for some good Zuiko's for astrophotography: I quote:

>I have reviewed several months of wide field astrophotography to determine
the widest satisfactory aperture for my Olympus OM camera >lenses. What I
care about most are coma, spherical, and chromatic aberrations. Vignetting
is less of a problem, because it can be mitigated in >post-processing.

>Here's a summary:
>
>Lens f-stop stop-down
>
>Zuiko 8/2.8 8 3 stops
>Sigma 16/2.8 8 3 stops
>Zuiko 28/2 4 2 stops
>Zuiko 50/1.8 2.8 2 stops
>Zuiko 90/2 2.8 1 stop
>Zuiko 135/2.8 4 1 stop
>Zuiko 250/2 2 0 stops
>
>Matt BenDaniel
>http://people.ne.mediaone.net/mbendaniel/gallery/astro/wide.html

Don't forget  you will need a tracking mount if you plan to take more than
star trail photos. Star trails are an excellent first subject, by the way. I
hope this helps.

Mike V. <><