[OM] Astrophotography

Subject: [OM] Astrophotography
From: "Chris O'Neill" <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 21:45:52 -0600
Hi, Roger:

Thanks for that information!  Here's some follow-up comments/questions:

On 11 Aug 2001, at 0:02, Roger Wesson wrote:

> Generally for successful star shots, you want fast film (800 or above),
> clear and dark skies, and no moon about (otherwise it'll just look like
> daytime).

Well, that one sentance probably answers why I've not had much
success.  I almost always use ASA 200 print film, and most of my
attempts have been when the moon was somewhere in the sky.

> Use your lens wide open, but remember the difference with normal
> photography is that it's absolute aperture you want, so a 50mm at f/2.8
> (aperture = 17.85mm) will capture more stars than a 28mm at f/2 (aperture =
> 14mm).

I haven't a clue what you mean by absolute aperture, but most of my
attempts have been made with either a 50/1.4 or a 24/2.8 lens.

> You folks who've splashed out on your 50mm f/1.2s should be able to
> do great star shots.

Someone send me a 50/1.2 and I'll see if I can come up with something
nice in the next year or two!  :-)))

> Exposures should be no longer than 25s for a 50mm
> lens - inversely proportional for other focal lengths.

Maybe that's one of my other problems.  Most of my attempts to date
have been exposures of around 10 to 15 seconds.  Once, I did try
exposures of one and two minutes, but those turned-out looking like
daylight shots.  Again, there was a moon in the sky, IIRC.

> Tripod and cable release are essential to avoid camera shake.

Yup!  Always!

> Or you might want to do star trails, for which the non-electronic OMs are
> absolutely perfect.  Choose a dark moonless night, point anywhere in the
> sky, use film slower than 400ASA and leave the shutter open for an hour or
> two.

An hour or two?!?!?  I don't see how the stars don't get totally washed-
out with exposures of that length????

> If you try this, try not to let anyone walk in front of your camera
> with a torch...
>
> http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/ohp/2001/photos/torch.jpg

LOL!!!  Actually, that's kind of an interesting effect!  :-)

> Hope that helps - tell us about any results you get.  I've got some
> astrophotos coming back soon which will hopefully be worth telling everyone
> about.

I'll give astrophotography 'nuther try sometime in the near future, and will
let you know if I have any better success.  Thanks, again, for your
comments and suggestions!

Regards,

Chris

---
I'm *not* a Zuikoholic....  I'm a Zuikohobbyist!
Chris O'Neill (chris@xxxxxxxxx)
http://www.joinco.ca