Re: [OM] Temporary copy stand work?

Subject: Re: [OM] Temporary copy stand work?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 22:24:29 -0700
on 7/7/01 5:06 PM, Tom Scales at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Let's ask this question in a different way.  Open up the ideas to anything
> in my OM collection (www.zuikoholic.com if you need a refresher).  Family
> members deserve whatever it takes.  I'd be happy to loan you anything from
> my collection to make the best shots.
>
> Everyone -- chime in, what would YOU use.
>
> Tom
Tom throws open the question... flat subject copy work cries out for a macro
lens... I don't have it but I'd use the 90/2.0 on a *good* solid tripod.
Fine grain B&W film I don't know anything about, when I was taking photo
classes in 1976 I used TriX a lot (but I wanted to be a photojournalist,
which I am not.) For the film I can't help. How about lighting... seems like
at the distance you would be to frame a 16 x 20 you could use a ring flash
and get reflection-less lighting with the tricky double-polarizer setup.
Maybe that's overkill for non-living subjects, but how about a couple of
T32's TTL at 45 degrees left and right of the camera/subject axis? I think
that is the classic 'copy-stand' setup. Speaking of which, you might find it
easier to process hundreds of prints if you rig such a setup, then the
prints can be laid flat. Oh - a Varimag finder for the critical focus and
easier to keep kinks out of your neck. Maybe a grid screen to keep the
subject print in the same location in each negative?

This is an interesting project, but will you ultimately want those images
digital anyway (for restoration and preservation)? I have a family scrapbook
(old photos, newspaper articles, invitations, diplomas, etc.) that I want to
scan and print to CD's which can be shared more widely and viewed without
damaging the fragile originals.