Re: [OM] Temporary copy stand work?

Subject: Re: [OM] Temporary copy stand work?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 19:06:59 -0500
Let's ask this question in a different way.  Open up the ideas to anything
in my OM collection (www.zuikoholic.com if you need a refresher).  Family
members deserve whatever it takes.  I'd be happy to loan you anything from
my collection to make the best shots.

Everyone -- chime in, what would YOU use.

Tom

Hey all,

I have access to some of my family's photos that I'd like to make copy
negatives of.  Most are large (16x20) prints made by a relative when he
headed the physics dept photo team at Princeton University.  Lots of big
name physicists and famous test set-ups and things like that.  Also some
press photos from the 1930's until around 1955.

OM CONTENT --  Which lens should I start with to make copies?  I have a
50/1.4 and a 100/2.8 in the bag and I'm guessing staying with primes would
be the best thing.  I've got a BIG old tripod that I'm going to use for my
OM-1.

I could also do 6x6 negs with my KowaSIX and 80mm lens.

Lighting will be from 2 clip on lights with reflectors.

Film suggestions?  Right now I'm considering TMAX-100 or PanF.  Any other
easily processed, fine grain films that come to mind?

And the final question... Would scanning these big prints in sections be
possible to produce quality results?  I have access to photoshop and I am
competent enough to stitch them together with the software, but will it be
more trouble than its worth?

I'd go the professional route, but with several HUNDRED prints I don¹t have
the funds being a starving college student.  An engineering student, so no
access to the photo dept toys.

So... How would YOU attack this problem?

Thanks,

Mike