Re: [OM] Everyone's Film of Choice

Subject: Re: [OM] Everyone's Film of Choice
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:12:38 -0400
I shoot primarily Velvia, Provia 100F, and Kodak E200 (which pushes
reasonably well to 400). I have not tried the latest Provia 400F as I
felt the previous results were rather flat in color and a bit dark. I
probably did not get the exposure correct. The Provia can over
emphasize the blue late in the day.

For print film I use Fuji Reala (100) or Kodak Royal 400. I find the
results depend a lot on who and what paper the printing is done with.
Since I scan most things, the Reala with auto settings on Nikon LS-2000
scanner can sometimes come out greenish, and varies a lot with film
exposure, so more futzing is needed with it. For me, the Reala seems to
work well with the flash.

So I wonder how much our viewing medium dictates our film choice, print
paper types, slide projector, scanner, etc.? And also the type of light
one works with.

I like Kodachrome, but you have to send off to get it processed and the
dusty cardboard slide mounts they come back in don't do so well in the
scanner. I prefer the square holed plastic mounts from my local lab.
(Eastern Photographic in Lowell MA). I have not asked if the
kodachromes could be returned un-mounted.

I have been scanning some of my fathers slides from the early 50's.
Unfortunately fungus has gotten to some of them. The Ecktachrome is
mostly red, but can be adjusted somewhat after scanning. My father did
some of the development himself, which may not have been the best. The
Kodachrome certainly survived the best, but is loosing contrast. If I
get the chance (in the next year) I will try to post anything
interesting, and a comparison of the two types of film.

Wayne
Hopkinton MA