Re: [OM] heresy

Subject: Re: [OM] heresy
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 13:29:17 -0700

Marcus b6 wrote:

 Realizing that I stand a good chance of being impaled on a stake, my well
 poisoned, my fields salted, and my name wispered as a warning to
 children...do people actually like the shutter speed ring placement on OM's?
 I mean the darn thing is fiddly and hard to find, especially with a large
 lens and tripod ring. I absolutely hate it. I think an OM-10 with its manual
 shutter speed accessory might be just the ticket to enjoy my Zuiko glass
 more. Is the ring supposed to be a desirable feature, or was it an
 engineering neccessity that was carried through the line as a perverse
 tribute to the OM-1? It gets worse with my OM-4, because the prism housing
 obscures the view of the speed setting, not to mention that confounded and
 thrice darned little button that you have to push for "bulb". I keep
 thinking I'll get used to the novelty of this arrangement, but I haven't
 yet. Promise me I will learn to love it, and I will try harder to believe
 that Maitani's genius as a designer is absolute. -Marcus (who otherwise
 > loves his Zuiko's; and his compact, full featured camera bodies)

I couldn't agree more. I understand that the shutter ring control was necessitated by the compact design and features of the OM 1 body. It is the only engineering solution by Maitani that I do not like much. It may have been the best one, but I think I would have even preferred the shutter speed knob on the front like the Pen F. I think that the continuation of that control on the models with electronic control of the shutter was maybe to just keep retooling costs down or as a marketing ploy for uniformity in the OM "family". It certainly would have been nice to have a knurled wheel around the shutter release on the automatic cameras which would have been much easier to use. I tend to use the OM1N as a shutter priority camera and the OM4T mostly in auto exposure mode as a result which is OK. Like the old German saying, "Keine Rose, ohne Dorne." There is no rose without thorns. The rest of the camera is so wonderful that you will not regret working with, or around, the shutter control.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California