[OM] Nationality (OT) - was 135/3.5 repaired

Subject: [OM] Nationality (OT) - was 135/3.5 repaired
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:19:22 +0000

Huh? I don't get it. What's the contradiction between being Canadian and
being American? What continent is Canada on, if it's not America (which is
what I had thought so far)?
While Germans and Austrians are _not_ the same, none of them would deny
being European (which also goes for the French, Spanish, Italians,
Portuguese, .....).
So while, of course, Canadians and U.S.-Americans are not the same, how come
some Canadians insist on not being American?

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

I think that you do understand really Volkhart: to use your analogy, it would be like calling the European Continent Greater Germany and then expecting the Dutch, Belgians, French et al to accept their being called Germans. It is the principle of statehood that counts, not existence of a Continent called America.

Come to think of it, the Argentinians, Brazilians Ecuadorians, Panamanians etc... do not call themselves Americans.

Chris

--
~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker