Re: [OM] [OT] National pride [was 135/3.5 repaired]

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] National pride [was 135/3.5 repaired]
From: ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:51:09 -0500
In <3AB8D3B0.925D70C3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 03/21/01 at 12:15 PM,
   Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>I'm not saying there aren't arrogant and annoying people from other
>countries, it's just that the US's political position seems to really
>add fuel to that fire.

Some of us cringe under the onslaught of Ugly Americans. One of my most
vivid memories dates from a visit to research colleagues in the former
Communist Czech republic. I went to a restaurant in Prague named the
Sarazin, which before the second world war had a reputation meriting a
Michelin star or two. In the rather ample dining room I sat on one wall,
a [US] American couple on the opposite wall. In her nasal midwestern
twang, the woman was complaining: "I just don't understand these people!
They do everything backwards. Even when they say Yes they say No!

[Interjection: ano means Yes in Czech]

I blushed, unseen, at her arrogance, and vowed to do what I could to
soften the insult to the staff, most of whom know enough English to be
stung by her remark.

The decor of the Sarazin was impeccable. Tablecloths were snow white;
waiters were in full dress kit, towel over arm, attentive and courteous.
 But quality meats were in short supply: the veal was like shoe leather.

I called over the waiter when I had finished my meal and said, "Please
convey my compliments to the chef for his skill in preparation in
difficult times, and send him a Pils with my best wishes."

The chef appeared a few minutes later. There were tears in his eyes as
he thanked me for remembering what standards they had had to forsake,
and the whole staff smiled at us as we talked.

I think her rudeness was somewhat neutralized.