RE: [OM] 135/3.5 repaired

Subject: RE: [OM] 135/3.5 repaired
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:15:20 -0700
One of the great things about this list is it's international composition
and the resulting exchange of cultural attitudes and ideas regarding
photography and other things as well. Every government has things in its
history that are not a source of pride to its citizens. We all need to learn
from our mistakes but dwelling on the negative aspects of past activities is
destructive. Stereotypes are developed from experience and communicated
perceptions and usually have some basis in fact. When one applies those
stereotypes to individuals you are almost guaranteed to be wrong.
Nationalism in the form of teasing or kidding can be fun but some things are
very sensitive and can easily cause ill feelings.

The United States is a melting pot of people from many cultures and when
there is a problem in the homelands of their ancestors people apply pressure
on our Government to provide assistance. Assistance in the form of money or
military intervention is easy for politicians to initiate but usually is a
failure and creates ill feeling. I get very tired of my country being
attacked by people from countries that do very little to help anybody else
but realize that it will never stop.

Nationalistic attacks on our countries is counterproductive for the
membership of this list. I would much rather enjoy the discussions related
to the beautiful and provocative images created by talented people for the
common good of us all.

/jnm