Re: [OM] [OT] National pride [was 135/3.5 repaired]

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] National pride [was 135/3.5 repaired]
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:08:54 +0000
Some of us cringe under the onslaught of Ugly Americans. One of my most
vivid memories dates from a visit to research colleagues in the former
Communist Czech republic. I went to a restaurant in Prague named the
Sarazin, which before the second world war had a reputation meriting a
Michelin star or two. In the rather ample dining room I sat on one wall,
a [US] American couple on the opposite wall. In her nasal midwestern
twang, the woman was complaining: "I just don't understand these people!
They do everything backwards. Even when they say Yes they say No!

I heard on the radio recently Les, that scientists had found that the "nasal twang" was disappearing owing to the reduction in pollution in the industrial areas since 50-70 years ago.

I called over the waiter when I had finished my meal and said, "Please
convey my compliments to the chef for his skill in preparation in
difficult times, and send him a Pils with my best wishes."

Beer talks in that country. They make lovely stuff, and remember that Budovice was the origin of the real Budweis beer. I have a couple of cases in my porch (it's cold there).

Mind you, beer talks in most countries where they make it well; try Belgian beer for quality and variety.

The chef appeared a few minutes later. There were tears in his eyes as
he thanked me for remembering what standards they had had to forsake,
and the whole staff smiled at us as we talked.

I think her rudeness was somewhat neutralized.

Well done. They still have quite a few financial problems in the the Czech Republic (and presumably Slovakia). My Czech colleague in the NATO HQ that I have just left was a display pilot for the Hind helicopter force and he sometimes had to make do with as little as 50 hours flying per year. They just did not have the spares for their helos.

Their car industry is looking up again, however, since Skoda is now a Volkswagen AG subsidiary and they are out from the yoke of the centralist economy.

Chris

Chris
--
~~~~~ ><>