[OM] My OIVMPIIS

Subject: [OM] My OIVMPIIS
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:19:42 -0800
Cc: "Mark Dapoz" <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] My OIVMPIIS
>
>On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Hans van Veluwen wrote:
>
>> There is special paint to restore the characters:
>> http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/e_paint.htm
>
>I have a set of those lacquer sticks, and although they do sort of work,
>it's nowhere near as good as the original paint.  The sticks are more of
>a paste, sort of like a really soft crayon, and they really only work well
>in narrow deep spots like the f stop markings.  For the larger spots like
>the word OLYMPUS, they're useless. I'd really like to know what Olympus
>uses to fill in those areas.  I've had some success using the Testors model
>paint carefully applied using a needle.  It's not perfect and it's very
>difficult to get right, so I'm sure there must be a better way.
>                                       -mark

See, Mark, that's why I think the paint in the letters must be heated in
some way, once it's in place. How else could you get the paint to flow
out so perfectly to the very edges of the boundaries? Take a close look
or under a magnifying loupe and you'll see what I mean. I don't know
anything about powder coating, but I'm curious what you'd get if you'd
put powdercoat in the recesses of the letters, scrape it off flush with
the top, and then heat it. I'll bet somebody on the list has tried this.
--Kelton