Re: [OM] A bit OT - Trip to the US

Subject: Re: [OM] A bit OT - Trip to the US
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:50:41 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:25, "Reynolds Paul \(NAP\)" <PReynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>I intend to hire a car and go where the fancy takes me. Places such as Vegas
>(somewhere I have always fancied going to), San Francisco, Hoover Dam,
>Yosimite National Park, Death Valley, San Diego, Mexico, Grand Canyon, Bodie
>etc etc. spring to mind, but I have really to get to grips with the
>geography and what is practical to try and achieve without driving 1000f
>the time.

First, welcome to the great state of California.  We can use all the
extra money we can get to boost up the economy.  Just don't forget
to pack and bring your own electric generator :-).

California is a BIG state (well, maybe not as big as Alaska or Texas).
So visiting all those places within 2 weeks is a bit of stretch.  If
you are going around by car, SF is about 6-7 hours away from LA.
Yosemite is 5-6 hours away.  Las Vegas is probably 3-4 hours away.
Grand Canyon is about 8 hours away.  The closest to LA will be
San Diego and and Mexico (well, it depends on how far into Mexico
you want to go), only about 2 hours away.

On the other hand, there are enough things to see just in Southern
California to occupy your time for 2 weeks.  You can also swing out
to Phoenix (about 5 hours away) and the Arizona desert.

I am in the SF Bay Area, where the weather is really strange this
past few days, with thunderstorms and snow as low as 1000ft.  A kid
got hit by lightning yesterday.  I have no idea what the weather is
like in Southern Cal.  Hope you will enjoy your visit here.
        -Dan