Re: [OM] A bit OT - Trip to the US

Subject: Re: [OM] A bit OT - Trip to the US
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:13:07 -0700
At 12:50 PM 1/26/01 -0500, Dan Lau wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:25, "Reynolds Paul \(NAP\)" <PReynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I intend to hire a car and go where the fancy takes me. Places such as Vegas
>(somewhere I have always fancied going to), San Francisco, Hoover Dam,
>Yosimite National Park, Death Valley, San Diego, Mexico, Grand Canyon, Bodie
>etc etc. spring to mind, but I have really to get to grips with the
>geography and what is practical to try and achieve without driving 1000f
>the time.

First, welcome to the great state of California.  We can use all the
extra money we can get to boost up the economy.  Just don't forget
to pack and bring your own electric generator :-).

Better bring your own diesel fuel, too.  8^>

California is a BIG state (well, maybe not as big as Alaska or Texas).

To give another way of looking at it, California's smaller than the province of Alberta, Canada (California, 411,013 sq. kms.; Alberta, 661,190 sq. kms.), but has approximately twelve times the population (Alberta, approx. 3 million; California, approx. 37 million). California could fit inside Alberta, but has a population 7 million greater than Canada.

That's a lot of people crammed into a relatively small space (for North America, anyways...). Neat state, too -- lots of climate diversity, both from north to south and from east to west. Other than Los Angeles, I can't think of anyplace you could wander in California that wouldn't be fun. L.A.'s too crowded for this Canuck (though, apparently, not for half a million other Canucks who live in the L.A. basin...).

Garth

-------

For those of you with a political bent, the Warren G. Harding Institute for Civic Responsibility holds an annual essay contest on some aspect of politics and the state.

The topic of this year's essay contest was "Good Government." The winning entry, in its entirety, was as follows:

"Good government.  Good government.  Sit.  Stay."