Re: [OM] second body

Subject: Re: [OM] second body
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:58:31 +0000
In my sordid Zuikoholistic past . . .
bought an OM-4 so the OM-10 could retire as a backup . . .
then replaced the OM-10 with an OM-1n as the OM-4 backup; one with a shutter that would continue working in sub-freezing weather . . . then got an OM-2S as a backup for the OM-4 so the OM-1n can be used for panoramics and sub-freezing weather . . . now conspiring to get another OM-1n so the OM-1n can have sub-freezing weather backup . . .
Hi, my name is John and I'm a ... a ... a ... Zuikohobbyist.

More seriously, it depends on whether you want a backup that works exactly as your OM-1n, or to complement it with features like spot metering, aperture priority AE, etc. I chose to complement the OM-4 with a body that would continue to operate in severe cold. Yes, the danger is in playing favorites and I do favor the OM-4, but still use the OM-1n regularly, just not as much.

You might look at an OM-2S or an OM-4[T] if you do much with a flash, especially the heavier T-32. Having used one on all three, it offers TTL OTF Auto at any aperture on these two bodies, and IMO the heavier T-32 handles better on them (seems sturdier) than in a Shoe 4.

-- John

At 17:17 1/16/01, Chris O'Neill wrote:
On 16 Jan 2001, at 0:34, Richard Keefer wrote:

> well, if my first body is an OM 1-n MD, what should the second be?

'Nuther OM-1N/MD.  Uuhhh.....  no!  An OM-2N/MD.  Uuhhh.....  no!
Your best bet is an OM-4....  No, make that a 4-Ti!  Uuhhh.....

Oh, hell!  Buy 'em all!!!  :-)