Re: [OM] Lycos Copyright Infringement

Subject: Re: [OM] Lycos Copyright Infringement
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:27:02 +0000
At 23:48 1/15/01, Gary Edwards wrote:
I checked with my name - found a couple of my images from Garth's site - then a whole bunch of pictures that weren't mine. It is a little distressing. . .

Gary Edwards

Should have posted this with the results of running Garth's through their grinder:

If you run your own name through (or someone else's) and get thumbnails back, check out the copyright at the bottom . . . it's a simple one from Lycos' with the year 2000. It's the only copyright on the page; no conditions, exceptions or stipulations.

I ain't no lawyer, so I gotta conclude on the face of it that a Lycos copyright notice, without any amplification about what it covers, claims rights to entire page content. That would include all the images appearing on it, quite a few of which, if not all, are not theirs to claim any rights to. That part bothers me.

Found a number mixed in with those that came up with my name that are not mine either. If I use my middle initial, it comes up with one batch and without it an even bigger batch. It undoubtedly pulls up every "Gary Edwards" image their web page crawler has found, without regard to which "Gary Edwards" it might be. I'd bet with your name there's more than one listing for it in the phone book in your own home town.

Found a number of what looks like rugby pix under Garth's name that are from some Australian site. Great pix. Garth, have you been doing sports photography in Australia lately and got 'em posted on another site there?

-- John