[OM] Lycos Copyright Infringement

Subject: [OM] Lycos Copyright Infringement
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:32:06 -0000
Hi,

I don't see, however, any serious copyright infrigement. Neither the
thumbnails nor the full size pictures have been copied to and published from one of the Lycos servers - all they're doing is publishing links to them. The pitfall might be that they're only providing links to the images, not to the surrounding html pages that may contain copyright notices...

I checked the page using my name and found two hits but both seem to be the same image. The image in question is my ADITL 3 entry, which makes it doubly interesting to me, as I sure as h*ll never submitted any of the content to Lycos (interestingly enough none of my entries that appear in the Unofficial OM Gallery were found).

So, what can it be that happens then? Well, an interesting observation is that the ADITL 3 entries _are_ found, whilst the TOPE ones _are not_. I have a very easy explanation for this: ADITL 3 used an older version of the scripts, which required a manually made index page, whereas the index pages for TOPE are all generated by a script. My conclusion is that there is some sort of Lycos search engine which will traverse all known hosts and look for an HTML "IMG SRC" tag, along with regular text (such as the names that appear on the ADITL 3 index page), then take the both of them and bind them together. It is possible that the TOPE entries are also somehow indexed by Lycos, but there is no way their search engine will have the logic to interpret my way of binding the entries to the names of the submitters, so one cannot find them by looking for one's name (perhaps words like "tope" might do it though)...

Interesting...

C-ya!
Olafo