Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list]

Subject: Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list]
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:13:58 +0100
I understand that, as it is twice as dense as lead (for instance), its kinetic energy is proportionately higher. Most airborne anti-armour gun rounds rely on kinetic energy for penetration as it is a simple and (normally) cost-effective solution. Consider that the muzzle velocity of an A-10 GAU is increased by the delivery speed of the aircraft (3,000 fps plus 600 fps I would estimate) so it must make up about a sixth or a seventh of the total muzzle velocity.

However, the round apparently disintegrates at least partly on impact with a hardened surface which causes the potential problem of radioactive dust.

Chris

Since this thread is irretrievably OT, I've been tempted to ask this
question. I'm sure at least one of our resident experts will know the
answer: What's with this depleted uranium ammunition scare? Is DU used
solely because of its density - a way of making heavier projectiles
without having to make them wider or longer? Or is there some other
property that makes it particularly devastating against armour?

Just curious, regards

=====
Ray

--