Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list]

Subject: Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list]
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:35:04 -0600
Olaf Greve wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Warren wrote:
>
> >Depleted uranium, with its very high density, requires a great deal of
> >energy to get it moving. When tank armor stops it, all of the energy is
> >turned into heat, which essentially melts through the armor.
>
> Ah yes, that was it! I had heard/read this explanation before, about the DU,
> kinda like making its way through the tank by its heavy weight being forced
> through the melting metal of the tank.
>
> >Once inside, melted steel and uranium are sprayed inside the tank--not a
> >photo moment to be sure.
>
> I think the regular armour piercing projectiles also do this, right?

The kinetic energy AP projectiles will cause some melting, and even
vaporization of the armor and the penetrator at the impact site, however
the major reason they penetrate is high KE and very hard, dense metal
that can withstand the shock of impact and deliver enough energy to a
small enough point that it can force a hole through the armor.  The
spalled and melted armor and penetrator then are sprayed around the
inside of the vehicle wreaking incredible destruction.  Uranium
compounds, some of which are produced by the heat, are also toxic like
all heavy metals.  The penetrator, however, may not be destroyed by the
impact since it frequently will exit the other side of the tank
(especially the DU penetator rod from the 120mm gun).

HEAT (high explosive, anti-tank) rounds use a shaped charge which is an
explosive charged designed to concentrate or focus the explosion on a
very small area.  The charge is lined by metal that is melted by the
explosion and focused into a narrow, very high velocity stream that
punches its way through the armor.

Jerry Liles