Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list] Artillery sub t

Subject: Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list] Artillery sub topic
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:39:43 +0100

The 8" howitzers I was blessed with had a  max muzzle velocity of about
600 meters per second, the later, long barreled guns, were considerably
faster.  The 175mm gun got over 900ms.  Believe me you did not "hear the
round traveling up the barrel".  The muzzle blast on the 175 firing max
charge or the 8" firing max zone charge with the special weapons
projectile could do serious damage to anyone in front of the barrel.
Just standing 50 meters back the concussion felt like a slap in the
face.  The rounds from the 8" are big enough that, observing from behind
the gun, they can be seen traveling down range, particularly if firing
one of the lesser charges.  These guns are impressive enough but are
popguns compared to battleship artillery!  The projo on the 8" weighed a
mere 200 lbs for regular HE.  The 16" naval shell weighed as much as a
Volkswagen Beattle and the muzzle velocity was higher.  An artillery
shell traveling overhead makes a paculiar ripping-tearing sound that
once heard is never, ever forgotten.  From behind the guns it is a kind
of hollow sizzling sound as it flys down range.  Is artillery louder
than a 9mm?  Of course, but you stand further back from the tubes when
firing, and it feels more physical than just a mere loud noise, however,
I have much more hearing damage from small arms and the noise of armored
vehicles than from the guns.

Jerry Liles

I take your point(s) Jerry. I did not realise that the muzzle velocity would be so high. It must be in the tank guns alone that the whooshing noise gave me the impression of hearing the round travel up the barrel.

Chris
--
~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker