Re: [OM] film death watch

Subject: Re: [OM] film death watch
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 21:12:48 +0000
At 18:09 1/8/01, Tom Scales wrote:
While I agree with some of their points, I find it hard to seriously respect
a site telling me film is dead and digitial is king when their address is
digitaljournalist.

A bit self-serving.

Tom

There are a number of newspapers who have/are switching to digital for normal news coverage. It is a matter of convenience and they don't need the resolving power of film for newsprint.

Alas, what will likely get lost from this are historic archives. Not all newsprint photos are worth archiving, but there are some that have gained immensely in historical importantance over the years; they visually convey what it would take a book to describe (more than a thousand words).

However, for them to say film is dead (or dying) is not only self-serving (as Tom observed), it is a narrow-minded implication the only 35mm users are PJ's.

-- John