Re: [OM] Price haggling?

Subject: Re: [OM] Price haggling?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 10:11:43 +0800
Dan,

The worst area for shopping in Hong Kong is the individual shops at
both side of Nathan Rd near Tsim Sha Tsui (except chain stores and
department stores), especially the electronics and camera shops. But
when you get inside a bit (not on the main rd), there are some 2nd
hand camera shops, most of them treat their customers very well. There
is no problem to put your lens on the camera to pay and didn't buy,
they will never ask whether you are going to buy it or not before pass
it for your examination. For new cameras you should go to Mongkok,
most of the big stores sell items at reasonable price and they are not
far way from each other. When you found some smaller stores that sell
new items at a much lower price, beware!

I also had bad experience in buying a Swiss Army Knife from Swaziland
in 1995, I bought a knife at a main street, the shop keeper was very
nice, but when I back to the hotel, I found a shop nearby selling the
same one at 700f the price I paid. Even worse, when I back to Hong
Kong, the price was only half!

C.H.Ling