Re: [OM] 4Ti Oh, Oh

Subject: Re: [OM] 4Ti Oh, Oh
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:39:53 -0500
Mickey wrote:
Gregg-

> The flash was set for control through the 4T.  The camera was still in
> manual.  The 24/2.8 was set mid range.
> The ok exposure indicator doesn't blink in manual mode.
>
> The flash fired and the camera was set to a low enough shutter speed that
> the incandescent lights in the church show up in the photos.  But that is
> all that shows up!

Let's guess f/8 around 1/30, asa 200. +/- 1 stop. You would probably get the
described effect of the incandescent bulbs without flash or other localized
lighting. But you said that the flash fired. If the flash fired, but all you
see is the incandescent lights, I think that the X-synch is off timing.  If
you did not get any section of the frame illuminated by the flash, but it IS
firing, the camera is not triggering the flash to fire  while the shutter is
open. It's either late or early. Perhaps the shutter is getting lazy and not
opening in time for the flash. I can't imagine the flash firing off speed
once it senses the trigger signal, but you never know.

What you are saying makes perfect sense (at least I came to the same conclusion myself) but non of the above seems to have happened. The only conclusion I can come up with that makes sense is that the flash was not on full dump, and the photo was at least three stops underexposed except for the light bulbs in the hanging lights.

Try the open-back-flash-at-the-wall-with-the-aperture-wide-open test to see if you
can detect the flash through the lens when fired in manual mode.
If the full frame is flashed, you either didn't recreate the problem, or it
is intermittent. If you get partial flash coverage of the frame, you've got
either too fast a shutter speed, or the X synch is off. If you see no flash
through the lens you might try a different flash to verify that the
condition is consistent and not related to the T32 itself.

Just tried that with the camera body my wife was using. With the camera at manual, I get no flash ready light at red b and 60, I get a flash ready light from 1 through 2000. The flash does a full dump and no green flashing light in the viewfinder or amber on the flash. With the camera on auto I get a flashing light in the viewfinder and on the flash regardless of the (un functioning) shutter speed selecter. I also can see the difference through the camera back. The synch is ok up to 1/60 but gives decreasing light on up the shutter speed dial on manual only. All is as it is supposed to be.

On red b or 60, a winder 2 does make the normal noises and a tiny point of light appears in the center of the shutter area. The shutter does move through its full cycle as well. The flash does a full dump and no green lights appear at any time in the viewfinder

I don't know if I will ever be able to reproduce whatever my wife did. I was up front blowing on my horn at the time. I assume the responsibility for not turning the 4T to auto. I just wish I could reproduce the problem. The camera seems to presently be working as I thought it should.

Gregg