Re: [OM] Moderate Contrast Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Moderate Contrast Lenses
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:07:40 CST
From: "Toni Campos" <sinclair@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Moderate Contrast Lenses
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:10:06 -0200

I'd like to know if any list's member can shows me lenses with moderate
contrast from the Zuiko's. I bought a 50mm f/1.4 >1,000,000 and I found it
very contrasty - that's not what I like on a lens, I prefer that ones with
moderate contrast instead.

If you want lowered contrast, why not use a zoom. With all the extra air-glass surfaces as opposed to that of fixed lenses, the contrast in zooms, with respect to fixed lenses designed to the same quality standards, is guaranteed to be lower.

Furthermore, it is easier to make a contrasty lens less contrasty than to make a moderate contrast lens more contrasty (as in, it simply can't be done, although dedicated digital darkroom types might object). All you need do is add a filter (Skylight, UV, etc.) to render your 50mm F/1.4 less contrasty.

John