Re: [OM] Moderate Contrast Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Moderate Contrast Lenses
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:16:26 -0800 (PST)
John Lind wrote:

I believe it's much easier to reduce the contrast of a lens than
increase it.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong:  doesn't a ND filter
also reduce contrast in addition to the light reduction (one could use
a polarizer for this too)?  Soft focus, fog, or diffusion filters
typically reduce contrast, but they also reduce resolution.
I agree, there are many ways to reduce contrast. To me, the ND filter
approach makes sense, because the less light there is the lower the
contrast. In a totally dark room, everything looks black, whatever its
colour or shade. There is no contrast. If the light level is increased,
light coloured objects brighten while dark objects are still dark, i.e.
contrast is also increased. Use of an ND filter (or polarizer) will
simulate the effect of a dark room, reducing contrast.

Another way to achieve low contrast could be to under-expose negative
film, thereby depleting the emulsion. The overall brightness can be
corrected in the printing stage but contrast will be lower.

I've also seen clever use of stocking-mesh, stretched over the lens, to
produce soft pictures but, as John says, such things reduce resolution
as well as contrast. As a final resort, you could try coating the lens
with a thin layer of banana pudding; after use, it can be wiped off
with an iced Volvo. ;-)

Regards,

=====
Ray